Child pages
  • 2017-03-28
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Meeting Information

Date:

March 28, 2017

Time:

9 AM PDT/10 AM MDT/11 AM CDT/12 PM EDT

5 PM BST

Attending: Susan Albright, Hugh Stoddard, Co-Chairs; Terri Cameron, Kristi Ferguson, Walter Fitz-William, Jenny Kessler, Cindy Lybrand, Paul Schilling, and Valerie Smothers

Agenda Items

1 Review minutes and action items

The minutes were accepted as submitted.

2 Follow up on tying EPAs to curriculum – feedback from NYU

Valerie provided an update that NYU plans to track EPA’s in their evaluation and assessment system, but not in their curriculum management systems.  She concluded it may be too early to include in the standard. Terri noted that Oregon, Colorado, and UC Irvine are tagging thirteen core EPA’s to their curriculum. UCSF is tracking 5 Core EPAs. They are not using in a trackable way, but mapping to assessments and student achievements.  Valerie will contact those schools and follow-up on how they are tagging EPA’s to curriculum and suggest presenting to this group.  Hugh added they are tracking locally developed SPA’s mainly for local use. Cindy mentioned ETSU is doing trying it out with 1st and 3rd years.  She added they are looking for automated reporting.  Terri noted two schools were using Tableau to pull data from CMS to create reports.  Susan added a summary of reports with best practices included would be useful.  Hugh offered to provide something describing conceptual integration.  

3 Update on API development

Valerie mentioned Sasha started working on the next API.  Event and sequence block will be next. Event Instance addressed a specific instance of an event, which would be used with scheduling software, getting specific learners and instructors associated with the event.  It is more specific than the Curriculum Inventory, and goes beyond the data model but still useful for integration.  Valerie will talk to the chair of the Technical Steering Committee to get advice on the structure of documentation.  Valerie briefly described how to obtain data related to expectations from the link provided. 

Hugh explained why room would be relevant.  CMS has room scheduling data, this API would allow for one system to query CI for data and display it automatically.  Valerie added she could also see it integrating with the student information system.  She offered to update use cases on the wiki.    

Hugh mentioned the GIR meeting in Atlanta where Tableau is being presented as part of data management on Wednesday the 10th at 3:00 p.m.  Emory’s dashboard is mission driven.  Valerie asked whether there was value in tying other components to the bigger data sets.  

Definition of track for working group input

Terri commented the track data in the Curriculum Inventory didn’t make sense. Twelve to fourteen schools uploaded tracks.  She is still trying to get them to answer the questions.  She recommended setting best practice, that track should be documented using the LCME definition.  Cindy mentioned they do have a track (based on the LCME definition) but did not populate that in the curriculum inventory.  Terri clarified they are getting people who are using track in a different way.  Susan described Tufts’ Maine track for students who work in Boston but spent their second year in Maine.  She questioned if that was considered a track.  Terri clarified if it is reported to LCME by definition it is considered a track.  She is most concerned about errors in documenting by faculty and staff.  Susan suggested describing cohort without using “track” element.  Paul agreed people don’t have a good way to explain track concept within their own institution. Terri will report back on her conversations.

Valerie agreed to get Sascha’s feedback on room definition and description.

Valerie encouraged everyone to register for the annual conference.  

Decisions

Action Items

  • Valerie will contact Oregon, UCSF, Colorado, and UC Irvine to learn more about how they are tagging EPA’s to curriculum and suggest presenting to this group.
  • Hugh will share a description of Emory’s SPAs and how they are integrated with/tagged to the curriculum.
  • Valerie will update the API use cases to reflect integration with a scheduling system.
  • Terri will report back on her conversations around tracks.
  • Valerie will get Sascha’s feedback on room definitions and descriptions.
  • No labels