The group has identified the following use cases for Curriculum Inventory APIs.
- The curriculum management system sends curriculum data (all or portion therof) to another system. The other system can use that data to offer tailored content/evaluations to the learner, display course data in a scheduling system, or use the data for analytics or dashboard views of the data (ie QlikView), or compare curricula. There may be other uses for the data.
- The curriculum management system requests content (or content metadata?) aligned with a subset of curriculum data (ie event or sequence block competencies and/or keywords, description, other data?)
- Analytic system asks curriculum management system "Tell me all of the instructional methods/assessment methods/resources associated with competency XYZ." (Note- this is possible internally in some systems, but not as an API call.)
Drivers: Analytics/learning dashboards, curriculum standardization, integration with content/assessment systems, presenting educational trajectory (where I am on path through curriculum), integration with scheduling system
Future development/related APIs:
- sending outcomes data related to a particular part of the curriculum to a curriculum management system.
- Sending student/instructor data to the curriculum management system
- Sending classes/schedules to the curriculum management system