The draft survey below is posted for discussion. A separate web-based survey tool will be used to deliver the survey once it is finalized.
Competency - any educational objective or educational outcome that results from knowledge, skills, or beliefs.Competency framework - a set of competencies that are interrelated.
Curricular components - learning activities, resources, and assessments that are part of a curriculum.
Ontology - a rigorous and exhaustive organization of some knowledge domain that is often hierarchical and contains all the relevant entities and their relations (Wordnet 3.0)
Portfolio - a record of learning, development, and achievement.
Technology Standards - an explicit set of technical requirements. MedBiquitous standards provide the technical requirements for certain types of data exchange related to healthcare education and assessment. Technology standards can influence educational practices and enable reforms.
1. Is your organization delivering competency-based or outcomes-based learning or assessment or planning to do so?
currently doing, planning to do, don't do and don't plan to, unsure/not applicable
2. What do you see as the barriers to implementing competency-based or outcomes-based learning or assessment? For example, lack of time for redesigning resources, lack of funds, etc. If time is an issue, please elaborate.
3. How would you consider using the technology standards for healthcare education developed by the MedBiquitous Competency Working Group? Check all that apply.
- As part of a competency-based learning or assessment effort within higher education (for example, undergraduate medical education or nursing education).
- As part of a competency-based learning or assessment effort within allied health professions education.
- As part of a competency-based learning or assessment effort within post graduate education.
- As part of an effort to ensure the ongoing competence of health professions staff within an organization.
- As part of a competency-based learning effort within continuing professional development (continuing education).
- As part of a competency-based learning or assessment effort within certification or licensure.
- Would not consider using technology standards at this time.
- Other (please specify): _________________
4. The working group has drafted the following ways technology standards for competencies might be used (please see use cases)Please rate these in order of importance for you. (high to low, 7 point scale for each statement)
- Search a system to develop a report that details what competencies are addressed in the curriculum
- Use a machine readable set of competencies or learning outcomes developed by a collaboration or another organization (import it into the system)
- Map one set of competencies to another
- Search a system to find curricular components (for example learning activities or assessments) addressing a particular competency
- Record activities related to and evidence of competence within a portfolio that details the expected competencies and how the individual has progressed relative to each competency.
- Record performance data as evidence of competence for learning or assessment.
- Direct a clinician to learning based on gaps in competence (remediation)
- Compare competence data for a clinician against a benchmark (gap analysis)
- Export a portfolio or portion of a portfolio
- Index a competency framework against a controlled vocabulary, terminology, or ontology.
- Qualify the link between a competency/ontology and a person or curricular component, (e.g. the degree to which a learner has demonstrated a competency)
5. Please indicate any additional ways that technical standards for competencies might be used that you feel should be addressed in the near term.________________________________________________________________________
6. Please indicate if you use a technology platform to accomplish the following, or if you plan to do so.
(currently doing, planning to do, don't do and don't plan to, unsure/not applicable)
- Develop learning materials
- Deliver learning materials
- Associate curricular components (content, assessment, resources) with one or more competencies
- Track learner progress towards competency showing relevant accomplishments in each competency
- Track where competencies are addressed within the curriculum
- Implement multiple sets of competencies for the same curriculum
- Recommend learning based on gaps in competence
- Implement controlled vocabularies, taxonomies, ontologies to support competency-based learning
- Export a competency-based portfolio
7. For the purpose of this discussion, a competency definition is a statement defining a single competency that is part of a larger framework. From your perspective, what should be included in a competency definition? Check all that apply.
- Competency statement (for example, the physician is able to...)
- More detailed narrative description of the competency
- Typing of some kind (knowledge, skill, attitude, role or other type description)
- Conditions of performance (for example, using a body mass index calculator)
- Performance criteria indicating competence (for example, within +/- 5mm Hg accuracy)
- Outcome criteria indicating competence (patient health data)
- Recommended evaluation and assessment methods
- The ability to represent a competency in multiple languages within a single framework
- Other _________________________________________
8. For the purpose of this discussion, a competency framework is a set of competencies that are interrelated.From your perspective, what should be included in a competency framework? Check all that apply.
- Description of hierarchical relationships among competencies (parent/child)
- Description of non-hierarchical relationships (e.g. equivalent to, similar to, enabling, prerequisite)
- Groupings of competencies under a category, role, or other organizational structure
- Narrative descriptions/introduction for categories or other components
- References/associations to outside resources
- Other: ______________________________
9. How useful would you find technology standards for a competency framework?
Not useful 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Useful