The following best practices should eb integrated into an implementation guide.
- Begin performance scales with 1 and reserve 0 for instances of no data. Flag not yet addressable and be sure to communicate our views on that in communications.
- Recommend that framework developers make explicit what is meant by 0 if data indicating an individual's performance level is 0 is likely to be transmitted. Is the learner performing at a level below level 1 for that competency, or is the learner not yet at a point where she may be assessed (for example, not yet rotated on this topic)? Make recommendations.
- A criterion that uses the words Or or And should be broken into two separate criteria if criterion-level tracking is desired.
- Develop recommended list and guidance around what additional information to include in performance levels and components. How the information will be accessed and used is important.
- For Indicator, we will need to clarify when to use which reference element – because now there are 3 ways to include a reference within an indicator!
Draft guidelines are available,