Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Meeting Information

Date:

October 27, 2015

Time:

9 AM PDT/10 AM MDT/11 AM CDT/12 PM EDT

Attending: Susan Albright, Hugh Stoddard, Co-Chairs; Toufeeq Ahmed,  Marcus Bates, Angela Blood, Terri Cameron, Sascha Cohen, Jennifer Cuthbert, Kristi Ferguson, Walter Fitzwilliam, Scott Kroyer, Vicki McKinney, Steve Pennell, Paul Schilling, Jenny Shaw, Valerie Smothers.

Agenda Items

1 Review minutes

The minutes were accepted as submitted with minor edits. 

2 Discuss revised vocabulary

Terri summarized that the purpose of the vocabulary sub-committee was to develop the vocabulary list for schools to take to their curriculum committees to ensure we are documenting our curriculum properly.  Changes from the vocabulary sub-committee have been incorporated. They are looking to implement in next year’s Curriculum Inventory.  Terri will be presenting this at the Learn, Serve, Lead meeting and MedApps but she wanted the Curriculum Inventory Working group to review first.  She requested feedback by Nov 6. 

3 Curriculum Inventory API

Valerie mentioned there were a few different vendors interested in developing APIs for sending Curriculum Inventory data.  Scott commented that there is the potential for integration and transfer of bits of data with the AAMC and between vendors or schools. They want to enable more connections with assessment vendors. Terri asked about data going one way or both ways.  Scott suggested going one way for the AAMC, but more commonly two ways to other vendors.  Valerie mentioned Tao Le from MedIQ was interested in integrating with LMS systems, using a Curriculum Inventory API.  He can offer back assessment related to that part of the curriculum. 

Susan spoke to developers about Exam Soft.  They suggested pulling competency information from Exam Soft.  Valerie clarified what she and Tao discussed was pulling competencies and descriptions of courses from the curriculum management system and using that data to find relevant materials.  Terri noted another benefit is reducing duplicate data entry.  Sascha thought it was a great opportunity to build on our current work.  They plan to build API endpoints for Ilios. Marcus agreed and mentioned the need for a common way to integrate systems. 

Sascha commented they are pulling information out of their evaluation system and getting a complete picture of the curriculum structure. They send data to a learner dashboard system, QlikView, and track goals and activities against activities and outcomes of the curriculum.  QlikView draws data from curriculum management system, evaluation system, and student information system. They use an API to push data to their data warehouse.

Hugh questioned the probability of all vendors agreeing to a standardized API as some have business models that preclude such sharing.  Toufeeq commented that for Vanderbilt the API helps them share data across the institution.  They are able to turn it on outside the firewall as needed. He asked whether commercial vendors would be willing to contribute.  Scott was interested in integrating with complimentary vendors like Exam Soft; Exam soft was not willing to share.  Valerie will discuss with Technical Steering Committee for feedback and begin articulating use cases to determine the problems we want solved.  If a formal development process is started, then a formal proposal is needed and a member organization to sponsor the project.   It would be helpful to see what UCSF is doing.  Susan agreed it was great to have data used in multiple ways.  Sascha will discuss further offline and share examples from UCSF.

4 Discuss options for representing sites 

Valerie corresponded with Jenny and Susan and came up with conceptual example listed.  An identifier would be created for each site, and instances of the clerkship would reference the site identifier. The clerkship instances would also link back to the clerkship which they are an instance of. All data specific to that site, and assessment methods could be listed with that site specific clerkship.  Terri mentioned after much discussion her group came up with an ingenious way to report on this using footnotes to say this represents x number of medical schools that may have multiple sites.  The clerkship sites may exceed the number of medical schools, (currently they have 158 sites).  Susan asked the group if this method would work for them.  Terri added in this model clerkship might be 200 representing 130 schools, campuses and sites.  Valerie asked about data getting fed to Asset.  Terri mentioned they use an average or range to figure out what they want to show, and this makes it easier.  Paul commented asked whether the file size or report length will be problematic.  Terri answered zip files should not break the system.  Susan recommended Terri share this with Michigan, Michigan State, and other schools that have this issue.  

5 Discuss clerkship definitions

Hugh provided a recap from last meeting on the various definitions and requested the group’s input.  Terri presented this report to the Curriculum Inventory Working Group and asked for feedback.  She will be taking it to Medical Education meeting sessions and hope to have a good discussion.  They want to come up with terminology to distinguish between clerkship and non-clerkship sequence blocks.  Hugh stressed proposing meaningful definitions, but not having the power to enforce definitions without buy in from other groups like the AAMC, LCME, ACGME, who have authority to enforce definitions.  Terri was considering taking the definitions to SDRME, or RIME.  Hugh noted SDRME the answer is No.  Terri will ask Reed Williams who is doing research on clerkships at Indiana and Northwestern for his input.  Hugh suggested leaving that decision in Terri’s capable hands.    

6 CI update

Terri recapped that 118 schools have verified, 9 more are in process, and 7 more are still working in staging.  We are on target for 135 schools, and 4 will be osteopathic schools.

Decisions

Action Items

  • The group will provide feedback on the vocabulary to Terri by Nov 6.
  • Valerie will update the Technical Steering Committee on the group’s interest in APIs.
  • Sascha will share further information about the APIs he is developing for Ilios.
  • Terri will share the conceptual model for multi-site clerkships with schools that have multi-site clerkships.
  • Terri will ask Reed Williams for input on the clerkship definitions.
  • No labels