Child pages
  • 2010-09-02
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Meeting Information

Date:

September 2, 2010

Time:

9 MDT/11 EDT/16 BST/18 EEST

Attending: Chara Balasubramaniam, Dawn Carroll, Erik Emde, Daniela Giordano, Stathis Konstantinidis, Litsa Mitsopoulou, Maria Nikolaidou, Dan Rehak, Carl Singer, Valerie Smothers.

Agenda Items

1 Welcome and introductions

Valerie began the meeting suggesting the attendees introduce themselves to each other. Dawn is a Cybrarian at the Department of Veteran’s Affairs and uses healthcare lom to collect content information.  Erik is the Learning Management Systems Administrator at the Centers for Disease Control and is involved with developing a content management system.  As the Director of LMS platform at CECity, Carl Singer has implemented most all of MedBiquitous standards.  Dan Rehak is a member of the MedBiquitous Technical Steering Committee and is involved in IEEE LOM.  He is currently working on a learning registry project to make US federally owned content available across a variety of areas.  This project is coordinated by the Department of Education and Department of Defense.  Litsa is from St. George’s University of London and works on the mEducator project.  Chara is also from St. George’s; he works with the Virtual Patient working group and the Evip Project. Daniela, comes from the University of Catania and is a partner on the mEducator Project.  Stathis and Maria are involved in Healthcare LOM and the mEducator project as well.   

2 Review mEducator conceptual model for metadata and its relationship to healthcare lom (where there is overlap, where there are departures)

Valerie thanked everyone for participating in this joint call today between the Learning Objects working group and the mEducator group.  Daniela began, in the absence of Panos, who is the coordinator of this European project since he could not be here today.  The mEducator project began in May of 2009 and is in its second year. The project revolves around moving and sharing educational content and resources with medical educators.  The repurposing notion is key*.*  It is a best practice network project, and they have developed two solutions for sharing content: 1) development of a process based on semantic web services, 2) a solution based on Mash up technologies.

Daniela mentioned they hoped to have a complete version by the end of July.  They have sketched a conceptual model in a graphical way to help get stakeholder feedback.  Daniela walked through the slides in the mEducator updates presentation. The plan is to map the conceptual model to existing standards and then to an RDF schema. For example the last two attributes citation and quality stamp, are not addressed in healthcare lom.  The pink items indicate information that can come from having resources shared in a social networking environment.  Daniela commented that metadata is something that accrues over time.  Description is one of most important fields, and it is free text.  The key issues are how to facilitate retrieval through key words. Both controlled vocabularies and free text are allowed.  In addition there is repurposing information to describe when someone takes one object and repurposes it to different languages, cultures, purpose, etc.  We want to change that part of the content to make it accessible for people in different positions. 

Valerie asked if there are attributes that should be included in Healthcare LOM, like citation and quality stamp.  Daniela thought it should be included and she asked for input from the members in the States.  

Dawn commented the VA added extensions that deals with learning management fields for the LMS and added prerequisites for relations.  They are using terminal learning objective and enabling learning objective and specifying those using educational objectives and learning outcomes in classifications.  However, they aren’t using activity location yet.  Daniella was curious to hear whether people were incorporating MeSH or SNOMED taxonomies.  Dawn mentioned they mostly use MeSH and additional taxonomies that are government-related.  She also said they were interested in folksonomies.  Daniela ask if they should be in metadata schema or outside of it.  Valerie commented that IEEE has folksonomies on their scope of things and ask Dan to comment.  Dan mentioned the topic has been discussed but it has not been pushed right now. 

Dan related some of his questions regarding ISO work on metadata for learning resources. He asked if they looked at any of the ISO work.  Daniela commented they did look into that issue and aimed at something that would be easily integrated into semantic web technologies but enable exchange of content as much as possible. Daniela has read Nihlson’s work on moving lom to RDF, and that was one reason they decided to use Dublin Core and start from scratch. They are interested in exploiting technologies like Friend of a Friend (FOAF) and provide tools that can perform translations.

Dan notified the group that the Dublin Core Education group is holding a special session next month and he suggested posting some of what Daniela was doing to the Dublin Core group site.  Much of what we are discussing is on the agenda. He suggested Valerie send him Daniela’s email address so he could forward the information.

Stathis returned to the topic of folksonomies. He commented that it may not be a good idea to include folksonomy references and other dynamic social networking content like user comments in a metadata record simply because the data is changing so often. He argued that such information is not core information to be included in a metadata record. Dawn added that the VA has tried to pull folksonomies into metadata without success.

3 Discuss the mEducator transition to RDF and the benefits thereof

4 Discuss how Healthcare LOM might benefit from this work

5 Open discussion

Valerie ask if the group wanted to schedule another call in a month’s time and what the group should target until then.  Daniela thought that would be enough time to conclude some of the things still open in the mEducator schema. Valerie suggested going over specific proposals for extending Health care LOM on the next call, including mEducator work, eVIP/virtual patient work, and any other items the group would bring up.  She mentioned implementers like the VA and MedEdPORTAL from the AAMC may be interested in quality stamp and citations.  Chara mentioned that St. George’s is having a meeting with colleagues from AAMC next Friday. He asked whether it would be possible to schedule a call with mEducator team members during that visit.  Daniela agreed to follow up with Chara. Valerie offered to work with the mEducator team to identify opportunities for modifying healthcare lom in the interim. Daniela asked Dan what the IEEE plans were with regard to folksonomies.  Dan suggested to the group to participate in the working group for IEEE; there is a call next Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. CEST. He will forward that information as well to the group if anyone is interested.   

Decisions

 The group will meet again in approximately one month's time.

Action Items

  • Valerie will send Dan Daniela’s email
  • Valerie will work with the mEducator team to identify opportunities for modifying healthcare lom.
  • Other working group members will submit other specific recommendations for modifications based on their current extensions and vocabularies.
  • Dan will forward information on the upcoming IEEE LOM call.
  • No labels