Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Meeting Information

Date:

June 25, 2014

Time:

10 PDT/12 PM CDT/1 PM EDT/6 PM BST/7 PM CEST

Attending: Matt Cownie, Ellen Meiselman, Rosalyn Scott, Valerie Smothers, Michael Steele, David Topps, Craig Wiggins,

Agenda Items

1 Review minutes of last call

The minutes were approved.    

2 Discuss Michigan uses and planned uses of XAPI (see current state and introduction)

Ellen commented that initially they wanted to use XAPI to get over some of the tech problems with scorm. Now they are looking to develop prototypes to see what they can do with it. They are at the end of prototyping stage and are now evangelizing and implementing real projects.

SME’s have an awful time putting things up on line quickly and easily. They have put up a wordpress site running learndhash lms. They added XAPI tracking to that. The project has been taken over by ISDs, making it usable and reflective of workflow. Soon they will let SMEs loose on it. They are producing an XAPI version of the template for learning activities to allow tracking a variety of interactions. They are looking to use the Wordpress based system in place of other systems as well.

Craig asked how has this been received.

Ellen replied they tried it on a few nurses. They made an activity in 45 minutes. They are just starting to discuss its use for competency frameworks. There are use cases emerging.

Valerie asked what kinds of interactions are being tracked.

Ellen replied quiz scores, simple stuff. They could embed HTML5-canvas based game and track everything. They use questionmark now. It gets tracked there and doesn’t get aggregated anywhere else. They would have to correlate scores with other things. One example – a nursing checklist. They have a mobile app, similar to the app shown at the conference. People have to demonstrate how to put on bandage. Thenurse would page or call preceptor who would watch and rate them – whether they are able to do independently or with prompting. That is linked to competencies in nursing. It is tracked on paper now. There is room for improvement/experimentation.

David asked if the group could look at the wordpress tool and see how it works. Ellen replied she would be happy to do an online meeting to let him poke around. Valerie agreed to put this on agenda for August 7.

3 Discuss Department of Veterans Affairs uses and planned uses of XAPI

Rosalyn commented that one thing she is interested in is a digital way to capture performance in simulation. Mock codes in VA hospitals use the same scenario. They want to capturing the learner, recorder, as well as observers looking at team performance. They have two paper documents to capture this information now. As the VA expands their interest in regional and national curriculum, they don’t have good way of collecting data on how learners are doing,  or correlating with performance or competency activities. They agreed to digitize the forms, but there is a bigger issue related to simulation-based data collection overall. They are looking at simulation as collection of competencies. XAPI could be important in either documenting individual steps or whether the whole activity is completed.

Ellen commented that she would find challenge as to what should reside where. Where does simulation assessment lie along milestones? They have milestones, competencies, HPML. It’s hard to determine which thing to use.

Rosalyn replied that how you perform on steps could be tracked through a performance framework.

4 DIscuss University of the West of England uses and planned uses

Matt commented that they started with Virtual Patient reporting. They tracked to oculus rift (virtual reality headset), and simple activities in that. They can write scenarios in Unity easily. They are looking to build VP scenarios in a Virtual world. They hooked up with engineers who want to use cases of engineering scenarios. Guys trained in construction video themselves doing a weld or join. They download to pc, edit, and upload to google drive. An academic watches and updates a website on whether they demonstrated competence. That could be done in learning locker.

They are also planning to use for attendance monitoring. Lastly, They have been offered use of Epson glasses for augemented reality. The person running an OSCE would use the glasses to record and annotate the video. They could collect feedback and upload to LRS. The learner could play it back and get feedback about their performance. They would load the video as single file and add statements with time stamp to reconstruct.

Craig commented that Rob Chadwick is working with a Virtual Worlds framework to create XAPI statements in game itself. 

5 Review use case template and ideas and discuss next steps

 

Valerie reviewed the use case templates and potential use case titles. She agreed to circulate use cases from other working groups.

Michael asked if anyone has incorporated competency frameworks? Craig replied that ADL has a demo; he will share it with the group. Code will be available for download for those that attended the bootcamp. It may be available more broadly at some point. He will touch base with the developer.

Michael commented that they are investigating using xapi as a hub from various simulation technologies. They need a logging capability. They had a grant request for DOL for stackable credentials. How could we leverage concept of badging with stackable credential with how people met criterion. Many colleges are looking to fast track medics. They have built an ontology of requirements. Badges are certified and secure and can be put in an e-portfolio. The LRS can collect experience, send to certifying body, which gives you a badge. Duke getting ready to issue badges. XAPI can feed into a badge portfolio.

Craig commented that one of their cohorts focused on that problem. Ben Bet of learning locker would be someone to contact.

The group will look at the proposed use case topics and make suggestions or propose modifications.

Decisions

 

On August 7 we will look at the wordpress-based system Ellen developed.

Action Items

  • Valerie will circulate use cases from other working groups.
  • Craig will share the ADL competency framework and performance framework demo with the group.
  • The group will look at the proposed use case topics and make suggestions or propose modifications.

 

 

  • No labels