Meeting Information

Date:

June 29, 2016

Time:

8 PDT/11 EDT/16 BST/
Thu 1 AM Melbourne time (with apologies to Ian)

Attending: Tim Willett, Chair; Mary Jo Clark, Steve Clyman, Sascha Cohen, Susan Hollar, Kevin Krane, Paul Schilling, and Valerie Smothers

Agenda Items

1 Review minutes and follow up on action items

The minutes were approved as submitted.  Tim reviewed that the competency framework and related frameworks were discussed on the last call.  Mary Jo, Kevin and Valerie developed EPAs and levels of entrustment that are on the agenda for this meeting.  

2 Revise the sample competency framework, performance framework, and EPAs 

Valerie highlighted the substantive changes.  Under the title of Competencies, 1b provide dishes that attend to specific nutritional needs of diners and address cultural issues was added.  The Levels of Entrustment were based on an article circulated by Steve Lieberman.

Mary Jo asked if tool maintenance should be included.  Tim suggested there was enough variety.  Mary Jo suggested the order of 4c and 4d be changed and adding the following competency as 6b: accurately record orders and any substitutions or special requests. That should be linked to E3 under EPAs and in the XML. In the performance levels for 1a under Critical Deficiencies, Mary Jo suggested changing the second indicator to “dishes cannot be prepared.” 

Valerie questioned whether an introduction was necessary. The group agreed, recommending it include the rationale for the example, an explanation of how things are interlinked and what the various parts of the document mean (for example, the parentheses), and what it means. Kevin agreed that many were struggling with what this all means, and this could be helpful. Sascha agreed. Mary Jo added that it could be helpful to those trying to develop competencies or milestones. Tim recommended aligning the definitions with those in MedBiquitous specifications and referencing some key papers we looked at.

Valerie will make corrections and additions and circulate to the group and ask Connie for help drafting document.

3 Creating EPA entrustment levels

Tim asked if a map is needed between EPA levels of entrustment for E1 and other objects.  Valerie didn’t think so; that didn’t reflect current use of EPAs.  A discussion followed about measuring competencies for clinical supervisors and using EPA’s to assess competencies based on level of entrustment.  Tim noted there are examples of performance framework and EPA’s mapped back to competencies on the wiki.  Valerie referenced the AAMC brochure language of competency based medical education and will send that to the group.  A discussion followed about more explicit mapping of EPA’s to milestones.     

4 Outreach to the AAMC’s Core EPA Faculty Development Learner Group and the International Competency-Based Medical Education Collaborators

Steve Lieberman described our work to the International Competency-Based Medical Education Collaborators to pitch for their involvement.  Craig Campbell will continue to advocate within that group to raise awareness about MedBiquitous’ good work.

5 Review revised sample frameworks and accompanying XML

Tim asked if a map is needed between EPA levels of entrustment for E1 and other objects.  Valerie didn’t think so; that didn’t reflect current use of EPAs.  A discussion followed about measuring competencies for clinical supervisors and using EPA’s to assess competencies based on level of entrustment.  Tim noted there are examples of performance framework and EPA’s mapped back to competencies on the wiki.  Valerie referenced the AAMC brochure language of competency based medical education and will send that to the group.  A discussion followed about more explicit mapping of EPA’s to milestones.    

6 Update on conversations with IMS Global Learning

Valerie noted that IMS is a specification development group who is starting work in the competency space.  University of Michigan is a member of both groups, so Johmarx Patton form Michigan arranged a conference call with Mark Luber, Valerie and himself to discuss collaborating to avoid duplication of efforts in this space.  Mark offered to introduce Valerie to a team member leading the competency work at IMS, Jeff Capella.  To date, no introduction has been made.  Valerie followed up with Mark and he was hesitant to make the introduction at this particular time. Valerie expressed doubt as to whether collaboration would be forthcoming.  She suggested other MedBiquitous members contact IMS to push further on collaborating.  Tim asked if MedBiquitous was invited to be a member.  Valerie replied no.  Tim suggested having someone be an advocate.  Susan agreed to talk to Johmarx.  She has worked on the IMS committee in a past job.  Tim offered he and Valerie speak with Susan further on the competency working group projects.  Susan agreed.  Tim asked Valerie to explain the opportunities and threats to be aware of.  Valerie sees the opportunity to have MedBiq standards and approaches be applied or influence specs in higher education, not just health professions education.  The threat is that general education tools adopting competing could make MedBiq standards obsolete.  Tim asked about participation form those organizations in the higher ed space.  Valerie noted that she recently spoke with Canvass and Blackboard.  She will follow-up with the individuals she spoke with there.  She encouraged anyone to suggest other organizations that would benefit from MedBiq membership.  Mary Jo supported collaboration. 

The agenda for the next meeting will include updates for IMS and review of the final cooking framework.  

Action Items